08 March 2008

Hilary Term is over. I still have one tutorial on Monday, but I am off in two hours to go to visit the Monastery of St. John in Essex. I feel like there is so much to process about this whole experience. I know that it is not over yet, but it feels like the first ending, or the beginning of the end. In any case, it has been an experience which brought up a lot of things to think about. Mostly, I find myself constantly addressing the future. What am I doing this summer? Where am I living next fall? How soon can I be done with school? Graduate school? Ph.D.? Teaching? Traveling? So many thoughts jumbled about, I don't know where to begin. Of course, I need to be living here and now. I get very anxious about the future, but I have the opportunity to have amazing experiences right here. Like going to Essex. Or going to London (!!!) on Tuesday with Holly, Derek, and Lindsey. It's going to be fab, as they say here in England.

Actually, I don't hear anyone say that. I don't really talk to many Brits, unfortunately. I should find some of those.

Many things to do before I leave. Must go!

1 comment:

Mrs. Ham said...

To Erin, not her blog,

I know what you mean Erin about living in the "here and now"...and we are two peas in a pod with that one, as every day is a constant struggle for me to do so! I always think of this really great quote regarding the above. It goes something like this: "Today is a gift, tomorrow is unknown, that's why it's called a present"

Mark Twain said something to the same effect also, he said "the majority of the things that comprise our worries and fears, never even occur." It's so true. I could probably fill an encyclopedia with the amount of scenarios, and ideas about the future I have dreamed up. And another two or seven with worries. So I hear you and I'm praying for you Erin. And I love you...so very much!

Love, Maria