10 March 2009

I got to spend a great part of the day outside. Shooting archery, talking about T.S. Eliot in a shady, cool courtyard, sitting by the fountain reading G.K. Chesterton, and lunching al fresco definitely add up a great day.

For the rest of the evening, I will be tied to my laptop. Not so cool.

It's snowing in Brasov, so that will be a lot different than La Mirada in the springtime.

Also, even though I loved England, I was VERY bitter that I had to miss March/April/May in California. By far, this is the best time of year here. I try to get outside as much as possible these days, because I took warm, sunny days for granted. Besides, reading outside is the best.

Tonight, McClain's to get some work done. I leave my dear readers with perhaps one of the most amazing passages from G.K. Chesterton's Orthodoxy:

To the orthodox there must always be a case for revolution; for in the hearts of men God has been put under the feet of Satan. In the upper world hell once rebelled against heaven. But in this world heaven is rebelling against hell. For the orthodox there can always be a revolution; for a revolution is a restoration. At any instant you may strike a blow for the perfection which no man has seen since Adam. No unchanging custom, no changing evolution can make the original good any thing but good.

I want to spend the rest of my life striking blows for perfection, being part of the revolution, rebelling against hell. I suppose, in some sense, that it what Lent is all about; we eject Satan from his usurped throne, and strike a blow for Truth, and for Good, and for what is Beautiful. For 40+ days, we make our feeble attempts to correct ourselves, with God's help. When Pascha comes, we witness the greatest revolution, the greatest movement of love, the ACTUAL rebellion of heaven against hell. Christ harrows hades, striking the most decisive and fatal blow, and we not only witness it, but we are revolutionaries with Christ.

God help us to rebel against the hell of our own passions, and be vigilant and ready revolutionaries.

1 comment: