26 February 2008

The Botanical Gardens

Today was a beautiful day! It rained last night, and so the sky was a gorgeous shade of blue, patched with full gray clouds and complemented by the relatively warm temperature. I woke up for a lecture this morning feeling so terribly gross and still sick. Last night, I went out with Skye and Lindsey and Holly to a place called the Gourmet Burger Kitchen. It was VERY delicious, and we had a good time with each other. However, I stayed up rather late with some housemates, talking about life and school and the possibility of stealing a pony. So this morning, I ended up sleeping through my lecture, until about noon. It was good, because I have been so incredibly tired and have been working through a cold. That was about 11 hours of sleep that was desperately needed.

Instead of going straight to the library, I enjoyed some tea in the kitchen with friends and then went with Holly and Amy to the Botanical gardens. It is right across the street from Magdalen College (which has beautiful Evensong services, by the way).
I was intent on going today anyways, but it was good to go with friends. We talked about the nature of a magical moment and the sense of timelessness while sitting in a sunroom attached to one of the buildings which housed experimental citrus plants, palms, succulents, and--to my joy--jasmine. There were other greenhouses, which were like mini-jungles inside. There were lakes and pools, and part of the garden goes along the river, across which are the Magdalen sports grounds. Here are some of the highlights of the afternoon.





3 comments:

Papa Bear said...

OK. Now I am filled with botanical envy. Sounds like I would have loved it. Sleeping through class/lecture is always helpful to catch up on much needed rest. Every now and then I partake in a good nap in class myself. It is glorious.

Mrs. Ham said...

What a beautiful place you are in! Erin you will remember this special time for the rest of your life...I am so excited for you my dear!


p.s. I would very much like to steal a pony with you!

jenny baker said...

ha, you did get a nose ring! miss you!