24 January 2009

Miracles

I have been thinking about them lately.

Last Saturday, I went to the cathedral in San Francisco where St. John Maximovitch is. Wednesday night, I prayed the akathist to St. Xenia, specifically for help with my graduation requirements problem. The next day, my graduation counselor called me and told me that everything could work. Friday we finalized it and I am all set to graduate! Friday night, I went with some friends to St. Barnabas to witness the myrrh-streaming icon of the Iveron Mother of God of Hawai'i, and was anointed with its myrrh. Today, I went to liturgy for the feast of St. Xenia (who helped me get a job and is helping me graduate!) and was anointed with holy oil from her tomb. Tomorrow, the myrrh-streaming icon of the Theotokos will be at my home parish of St. Andrew, and I will again witness the myrrh and be anointed with it.

That's one miracle-packed week.

These are all signs further affirming for us that God is with us.

Why does God preserve the physical bodies of the saints as incorrupt? Because God has become man, redeeming our souls AND our bodies. The saints glorify God in their holiness, attesting to His great love and everlasting mercy.

Why do icons of the Theotokos and other saints weep myrrh, like the one in Hawai'i? Because the heavenly has broken into the world. Christ tore down the barrier between us and God, he rent the veil in two, and now we have access to greater, higher things. The Virgin weeps for us, for our sin, for our ignorance, that we might repent, that our injuries might be healed, that our souls be elevated to God. She does not judge us. She prays for us, loves us, and strives for the healing of our brokenness.

Why are saints like St. Xenia able to know our needs and effect good things for us? Because they have the heart of God. They have known what it is to suffer with Christ, to love the whole world, and their prayers before God are powerful. They help us because they love us.

These miracles are extraordinary to us, but they are ordinary in the life of God. They also remind us of the things we take for granted, of the daily miracle of LIVING. I am alive by the grace of God. How often am I physically in harm's way, and rescued from danger by God? How often do I put myself in the path of temptation, how often do I sin, and yet am forgiven? How often does Christ give Himself to me as food--FOOD--to eat and drink? How often is God available to hear my praises, my hurt, my prayers for friends? The answer is EVERY DAY. Every day, every moment is a demonstration of God's love for us.

We are given everything that we need to know and love God, things ordinary and things extraordinary. How often do we reciprocate in prayer, in fasting, in feeding the hungry, providing for the poor, loving the unloved, showing kindness to the stranger, clothing the naked, housing the homeless?

Love God. Love your neighbor.

2 comments:

Lauren S. said...

that's really beautiful, erin. thank you.

jenny baker said...

i loved this post!