05 May 2009

For whatever reason, in the last few Torrey sessions, we've wrestled in one way or another with the issue of self-worth and personal value in relation to intelligence. It seems like there is some nascent fear emerging that our only value is our intelligence and academic abilities and oh no what are we going to do how can we look at other people who aren't as intelligent as us and still think of them as WHOLE HUMAN BEINGS.

I'm so over it.

Whether this is some put-on that is masking fears of inadequacy and failure, or of the future, or whether they haven't quite yet gotten that we are more than our brains, I am rather tired about talking about this subject.

Perhaps I have life experiences that have taught me otherwise from the beginning...I am not my brain, and I cannot look down on others because there is some discrepancy in our intellectual capacities. Like having a mentally disabled brother, for one. Or having parents who love me no matter what grades I brought home. Or knowing that the image of God is stamped on all persons, regardless of what they do to or with themselves.

1 comment:

Brianna. said...

I really like this post and your attitude on the subject. Attaching my self-worth to my intelligence is something I have done a lot in the past, and suffered greatly for, as a result. But I think it's a good reminder, that no matter what we do or how smart we are (or are not), we are still always more than the sum of our parts, primarily because we are made in the imageo dei.