05 September 2009

B to the O-M-B

Okay, you birds. I have finally sat down at a real computer. For some inexplicable reason I feel a bit like Doogie Howser. That's probably because I am saying all of these words I am writing in my head as if I were doing a voice-over. It's also because I wish I had a soundtrack to my life as awesome as that opening song was.

Okay, you birds. So I am in San Francisco now. I got here on Monday after having spend a nice weekend with a going away party, sleeping a lot at my grandparents', seeing my baby cousin Aiden, and going to St. Seraphim's (and then a BBQ at Fr. Lawrence's - awesome!). I've settled in fairly well. There are three other girls who live with me who are interns, and one who is a paid staff member. There are also other men and women who live on the third floor of the house. I will have two more roommates soon, that is, if the elusive "Rachel" ever makes an appearance.

So far my work here has been just filling in where needed. Yesterday (Friday), I started working in ChildReach by cleaning and sorting out clothing donations, which included a shirt with artwork incorporating fallopian tubes. That got donated to the GoodWill. The cool thing about this program is that I get to go on field trips with the kids! I might be going to the Giants/Dodgers game next Sunday, and I will be going with my co-worker (supervisor?) David to Angel Island with the kids.

The other big chunk of my work here will be assisting with case work and "working the floor," as it's called. I am not so sure exactly what the latter entails. That's what I'll be learning this next week. I've already sat in on a case review meeting, which was very interesting. I'm hoping that I will be able to take on work with the case managers. If not, there will of course be plenty of other things to do around here!

Besides living in this amazing place with some pretty awesome people (cooks! directors! families! interns! Darlene the front desk lady!), I get to live in an amazing city. Don't get me wrong, this city is (forgive me) bat-shit crazy. But it's awesome. In the last few days I've gotten to see a few different parts. I went to the Mission last night, which is full of hipsters. I laughed at them, secretly wanted to be one, and then laugehd at them some more. In some ways, the lifestyle is appealing, until you realize that it's just another case of the gluttonous monster Capitalism subsuming everything society produces, even counter-culture. But I digress. I went with a girl named Sarah, and we hit up this cafe which was cool, because I could get a nice beer without having to go to a bar. I also have been down to Union Square a few times now. There is a Muni/Bart station there, as well as a hotel with a bomb glass elevator. I mean bomb in the way that it's way cool, not that it blows up when you reach the top or anything. I've also hit up Civic Center, which is where the library is (I only checked out 6 books yesterday...) and I saw Gavin Newsom. Which was weird.

Today I went to Ocean Beach, and we explored a little bit the "ruins" of the Sutro Baths. It was strange, because at first we didn't know what they were (we being myself and Lucia), but we recognized them as resembling ancient ruins, and she suggested that there were baths here. I wasn't so sure, but some "research" at the Cliffhouse gift store revealed the former existence of the Sutro Baths. Also, apparently, San Francisco has been home to some pretty bomb World's Fairs. I mean bomb in the way that it's way cool, not that it blows up when it's over or anything.

I have yet to have any crazy adventures, although today as I was riding back from church on the bus a person got on. At first I noticed the headgear - a flowery swim cap. Then I noticed that this lady was pantless. Then I noticed this lady had hairy legs. Then I noticed this lady was not a lady, but a man, wearing briefs and a T-shirt and makeup and high heels. Then about three stops up this person gets on the bus again. Then I realize that this is not the same person, but another person dressed exactly like the first person.

This is very long, so I apologize. But this city is pretty bomb. I mean bomb in the way that it's way cool, not that it blows up or anything.

8 comments:

Matteo said...

This is fantastic. I would like to let you know that some things that are bomb, do indeed actually blow up. Put too many poorly dressed drag queens in a roman bath, for instance, and they will explode all over the place. It'll be like a storm of weaves, nails, and cheap makeup.

Also, I do want to be a hipster. But like, I want to be to hipsters, what hipsters are to normal society... does that make any sense? Like a hipster in a hipster. Like picture in picture, only better dressed and with expensive culinary tastes.

Thirdly, your request for more nuns has been fulfilled.

Fourthly, keep being funny. I'm loving the blog.

Lastly, but certainly not leastly, I miss you.

HOPE YOU LOVE SAN FRAN! I'm coming to visit when I get back! Kat and I will crash it!

Christine said...

Erin, I think you are THE bomb. As in I think you are wonderful and THE cutest. Not like you blow things up. That would be wierd.

Christine said...

Erin, I think you are THE bomb. As in I think you are the most wonderful and the cutest and amazingist girl. Not that I think you explode and blow things up. That would be wierd.
<3

Christine said...

Erin, I think you are THE bomb. As in I think you are the most wonderful and the cutest and amazingist girl. Not that I think you explode and blow things up. That would be wierd.
<3

Christine said...

hahahhahaaaa, i'm dumb. I thought my computer wasn't working but I finally read the thing and saw that you have to approve the comment before it appears. Please don't approve all 10 attempts. But when I next see my comment on your blog I'mma wave my hands and yell "approved!" JUST like Target Lady!
:D

erin* said...

Christine:
I did approve all attempts. Just for humor's sake. I love you!

Matt:
I will try to be funny more often on my blog. When you come, let's try to be uber-hipsters. And thank you for the nun. And I miss you too. VISIT ME.

chelsea said...

Nice blog!
Great article,amazing.

Dallas Dental Implants | Dallas Landscape

Anonymous said...

Because it contains so many efficient software options in one package, Microsoft office 2007 gives you access to a multitude of options that save you time and keep you organized. So much important communication is now done via e-mail, Office 2007 includes several features that help you manage key correspondence.